Situated in northern Bagan, Old Bagan to be exact, Bagan Archaeological Museum has been put into operation since 1904. It is one of the most attractions in Bagan, where ancient artifacts from and around Bagan are collected and displayed.
Originally, the museum was constructed by U Sein Kho, a stele specialist. He was also the one who firstly gathered steles in the Bagan region and exhibited them in the Archaeological Museum.
From 1979 to 1998, Bagan Archaeological Museum was renovated and enlarged into a three-storey construction consisting of three floors and entirely decorated with Myanmar handicrafts, based on an octagonal design. The renovation process was completed on April 17th, 1998.
Nowadays, the museum is daily opened from 9AM to 4:30PM. On the ground floor, tourists can catch sight of arts and crafts from Pagan Era, portraits depicting the war and life in Pagan’s society, language and literature works, and archeological designs. Moving towards the first floor, there are portraits of antiquated pagodas, Buddha statues, Buddha designs, and ancient wall paintings. Lastly, on the second floor, a scenic and panoramic view of Bagan is offered.