Settled at Minnanthu Village on the southwestern part of Bagan Sulamani, Sulamani Temple is a Buddhist edifice originally built by King Narapatisithu in around 1183. The temple’s design is much like that of Thatbyinnyu Temple and also expresses similar traits to Dhammayangyi Temple, which are the two storeys, rectangular base, red bricks, interior frescoes, and four Buddha statues facing four cardinal directions at the ground floor. It is also the model for Htilominlo which was built by Narapatisithu’s son, Nadaungmya, or King Htilominlo.
In Pali language, Sulamani means Crowning Jewel. Its brickwork is reported to be among the best among all Bagan temples. Like many others, Sulamani was severely damaged after the 1975 earthquake and later was reconstructed in 1994.